Anonymous FTP server name: aftp.atmos.ucla.edu
Anonymous FTP is for sharing large data sets, large analysis files, and other data that would be too cumbersome to send via e-mail. Each user has a quota of 50GB. All data uploaded to the server will be available for 7 days, after which it will be purged.
Please contact if you want to move your data in batches (without exceeding the quota) and need to purge data sooner than the 7 days timeframe.
AOS users will need a valid username and password to access the anonymous ftp server. External users can logon as "anonymous" which doesn't require an account. To obtain an AFTP account, please contact Prashant or James
AOS users can upload data in your folder within "/pub" directory (
/pub/username) for giving anonymous access to outside users, and can download data from your folder within "/incoming" directory (
Anonymous users can upload data to the AOS user's folder within "/incoming" directory (
/incoming/username), and download data from the user's folder within "/pub" directory (
After obtaining an account, you would use the ftp command or an FTP client.
You may download the CuteFTP client (for Macintosh and Windows) free of charge from the BOL software website.
- Assuming you have CuteFTP installed on your computer, run the CuteFTP program. You should be greeted by the following window:
- Click on the New button, and select FTP site. In the window, type Anon ATMOS FTP (or any other label you will remember later) in the Label section. Enter in aftp.atmos.ucla.edu in the host address textbox. And click the Anonymous radio button.
- Then click on the Connect button. You will see a connecting window.
- When connected, you will see a prompt window.
- Click the OK button (optionally, you can click the Do not show this prompt again check box).
In this screen the left window section represents the files and folders on your computer. The right window section represents the files and folders on the anonymous FTP server. You need to change directories into the proper areas to be able to download or upload data. As an anonymous user, you can read the directories under
If you wanted to download data from the
/pub directories, you would double click the
/pub directory, and any subdirectories you wanted to get data from. You would then select the files in the right hand window and drag-and-drop them to the left hand window to begin the file transfer from the anonymous FTP site to your computer.