- 2001 Dr. rer.-nat. (Ph.D.), Physics (Physical Oceanography), University of Bremen, Germany
- 1997 Diploma, Meteorology, University of Hamburg, Germany
- 2006- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Departement of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- 2006- Assistant Researcher, Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences and Joint Institute for Regional Earth System Science and Engineering, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- 2001-2006 Post-Doctoral Researcher, Biogeochemical Group, IGPP, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- 1997-2001 Research Assistant, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven, Germany
- 1996-1997 Research Assistant, Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Hamburg, Germany
- 1996 Research and Teaching Assistant, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
- 2002-2008: Several one day research and educational cruises on UCLA Seaworld,
Marina del Rey, CA
- 1999 Measurement Campaign ANT XVI/2 in Antarctica on board RV Polarstern, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven, Germany
- 1994 Meteorological Measurement Field Campaign in Fehmarn, Germany,University of Hamburg, Germany
- Adjunct Assistant Professor: Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences,
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 2006-present.
- Climate Change: From Puzzles to Policies (AOS1)
- Introduction to Atmospheric Environment (AOS3)
- Physical Oceanography (AOS103)
- Introduction to Chemical Oceanography (AOS105/EEB139)
- Teaching Apprentice Practicum (AOS375)
- Mentor for Undergraduate Student Project: Detection of Oxygen Minimum Zones and Upwelling Regions from World Ocean Data Base information
- Docent: Los Angeles County Underwater Instructor Training Course, Carson, CA, 2009: Introduction to Oceanography
- Docent: Cruising Classroom Program for K-12 and college students, UCLA Seaworld,
Marina del Rey, CA, 2005–2008: Seawater Chemistry
- Public Programs Docent: UCLA Ocean Discovery Center, Santa Monica, CA, 2002–
2004: Ocean Biology and Environmental Science
- Teaching Assistant: University of Bremen, Germany, 1998: Dynamic Oceanography and Meteorology
- Teaching Assistant and Revision of Lectures: University of Hamburg, Germany, 1996: Dynamic Meteorology
- Professional Services/Peer Review Activities:
- European Commission
- Geophysical Research Letters
- Global Biogeochemical Cycles
- Journal of Geophysical Research
- Journal of Physical Oceanography
- Limnology & Oceanography
- National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Science Foundation
- Nature Geoscience
- University Services:
- Doctoral Students Representative and Webmaster: Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven, Germany, 1998–2000.
- Seminar Committee: Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, University of
California, Los Angeles, CA, 2006–2008.
- Conference Convening:
- AGU Fall meeting, San Francisco, CA, 2006, OS04: Variability in Ocean Interior Circulation and Biogeochemistry: Repeat Hydrography and Modeling Studies (with C. Deutsch)
- AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting, Portland, OR, 2010, PO19: Dynamics of Upper Ocean Boundary and Mixed Layers (with D. Halkides, B. Fox-Kemper, and R.R. Harcourt)
- Society Memberships:
- Member: American Geophysical Union, 1997–present.
- Member: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, 2005–2009.
- Member: European Geophysical Union, 2008—present.
- Member: The Oceanography Society, 2010—present.
- Boards and Committees:
- Member: ESPERE (Environmental Science Published for Everybody Round the Earth) Scientific Advisory Board, 2003–present.
- Member. NASA Sea Surface Temperature Science Team, 2009–2011.
- Member. NASA Carbon Monitoring System Science Team, 2012-present.
- Outreach Programs:
- Mentor: MS PHDʼS (Minorities Striving and Pursuing Higher Degrees of Success in Earth System Science), 2003–present.
- Participant: American Institute of Physics, Adopt A Scientist Program, 2005.
- Member: Scientific Advisory Board and Judge, Los Angeles Unified School District Science Fair, 2006–2008.
- Participant: American Geophysical Union Climate Science Q&A Service (answering climate science related questions from journalists), since 2009.
- Thesis Advisors: Rüdiger Gerdes, Dirk Olbers
- Postdoctoral Advisor: Nicolas Gruber