(K. N. Liou)
- IRC Quadrennial Gold Award Lecture: International Radiation Symposium 2012, Berlin, Germany, August 6-10, 2012, “Radiative Transfer and Regional Climate Change.” presentation paper
- Keynote Speaker: Workshop on Aerosol, Cloud, Climate, and Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, November 5-6, 2012, “On Black Carbon Absorption: Atmospheric Heating and Snow-Albedo Feedback.”
- Invited Speaker: Hydrologic Discovery Through Physical Analysis Honoring the Scientific Legacies of Wilfried H. Brutsaert and Jean-Yves Parlange, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, May 13-16, 2012, “Parameterization for Atmospheric Radiation: Some New Prospectives.”
- Invited Speaker: Special Atmospheric Sciences Seminor, Goddard Space Flight Center/NASA, Greenbelt, Maryland, May 3, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker: Tibetan Plateau Surface-Troposphere-Stratosphere Interaction (STSI) Coorperation Research, University of Texas at Austin, February 20-21, 2012, “Clmate Change in Mountain/Snow Region.”
- Distinguished Lecture in Atmospheric Sciences: The 8th annual meeting of the Asia Oceanic Goesciences Society (AOGS), Taipei, August 8-11, 2011, “Regional Climate Change: The Role of Light-Absorbing Aerosols and Snow-Albedo Feedback.”
- Invited Presenter: International Symposium on the Frontier of Atmospheric Sciences, Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences, Beijng, China, August 12-13, 2011, “Advances in Atmospheric Sciences: Some New Prospectives on Radiation Parameterization for Climate Models.”
- Invited Presenter, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, December 13-17, 2010, “Radiation Parameterization in Climate Models: Some New Prospectives.”
- Keynote Presenter, Prospect Foundation Symposium on “Taiwan under Global Climate Change,” Taipei, Taiwan, October 23, 2010.
- Keynote and Invited Speaker, presented at (1) the Chinese American Oceanic and Atmospheric Association Conference, Taipei, Taiwan, June 28, 2010, (2) the Asian Pacific Radiation Symposium, Seoul, Korea, August 25, 2010, (3) Sino-U.S. Workshop for STSI Cooperative Research over the Tibetan Plateau, Beijing, China, September 13, 2010, and (4) Peking University, Beijing, China, September 15, 2010, “The Role of Absorbing Aerosols and Snow-Albedo Feedback in Regional Climate Change.”
- Presenter, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, December 12, 2009, “Climatic Effects of Contrails and Cirrus over the Western United States: A regional Climate Model Investigation.”
- Invited Discussion Leader, Gordon Research Conference on Radiation and Climate, New London, New Hampshire, July 8, 2009, “Absorbing Aerosols: Asian Monsoon and Climate Sensitivity.”
- Invited Speaker, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 30, 2008, “Aerosols and Snow-Albedo Feedback in Regional Climate.”
- Invited Speaker, Award Meeting, Meteorological Society of the ROC, Taipei, Taiwan, July 7, 2008, “Contrails, Aerosols, and Clouds: Global Warming and Regional Climate Change.”
- Invited Presenter, European Geophysical Union Spring Meeting, Wien, Austria, April 17, 2007, “Radiative Transfer in Ice Clouds: Remote Sensing and Climate Implications.”
- Invited Speaker: American
Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francico, December 11-14, 2006, "Radiative
Transfer in Cirrus Clouds: Some Thought on Its Connection to Climate and General
- Keynote Speaker: Annual Meeting
of the Meteorological Society of the Republic of China, Taipei, March 21,
2006, "Some Unsolved Problems in Atmospheric Radiation and Their Implications
on Climate Research."
- Invited Speaker and Session
Chair: Dickinson Symposium: 40 Years of Climate Research, Georgia Institute
of Technology, Atlanta, October 17-18, 2005, "Some Radiative Forcing
Issues of Mountain Surface and Aerosols/Cirrus Ralated to the Tibetan Plateau."
- Invited Speaker: Sino-US Workshop for Surface-Troposphere-Stratosphere
Interaction Coorperation, Beijing, China, August 5, 2005, "Radiative
Forcings of Thin Cirrus, Aerosols, and Mountain Surfaces over the Tibetan
- Invited Speaker: Airborne Laser Workshop, Boston,
May 26, 2005, "3D Laser Transmission/Backscattering through Inhomogeneous
Cirrus in the Earth's Atmospheres."
- Invited Seminar: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,
Department of Atmospheric Sciences, April 20, 2005, "Cirrus Clouds and
Aerosols: Remote Sensing and Climate."
- Invited Seminar: California Institute of Technology,
Department of Environmental Science & Engineering, February 16, 2005,
"Cirrus Clouds/Aerosols: Remote Sensing and Climatic Implication."
- Keynote Speaker: Remote Sensing and Atmospheric
Sciences Workshop, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, December 17,
2004, "Satellite Remote Sensing of Cirrus/Aerosols and Its Climatic Implication."
- Invited Seminar: National Central University, Taiwan,
December 15, 2004, "Some Issues of Clouds and Aerosols in Climate Research."
- Invited Speaker: International Symposium on Extreme
Weather and Climate, Chinese Academy of
Sciences, October 12-15, 2004, "Cirrus Clouds and Climate."
- Invited Seminar (by Graduate Students): University
of Wisconsin, Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, September 20,
2004, "Cirrus Clouds: Remote Sensing and Climate."
- Invited Lecture: Computational Methods in Transport
Workshop sponsored by Lawrence Livermore National Lab, Tahoe City, California,
September 20, 2004, "3D Radiative Transfer in Cloudy Atmospheres: Diffusion
Approximation and Monte Carlo Simulation for thermal Emission."
- Invited Speaker: International Radiation Symposium,
Pusan, Korea, August 23-27, 2004, "On the Radiative Forcings of Cirrus
Clouds and Nonspherical Aerosols."
- Invited Lecture: Chinese Young Scientists Discussion
Forum for Climate and Climate Change, Beijing, China, June 29, 2004, "Clouds/Aerosols
- Keynote Speaker: 2004 Chinese American Association
for Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Meeting, Beijing, China, June 28, 2004,
"Cirrus Clouds: Remote Sensing and Climate Radiative Forcing."
- Invited Seminar: University of California, Irvine,
Department of Earth System Science, May 12, 2004, "Cirrus Clouds: Remote
Sensing and Climate."
- Invited Seminar: National Taiwan University, Department
of Atmospheric Sciences, November 6, 2003, Some Issues of Clouds and
Aerosols in Remote Sensing and Climate Research.
- Invited Lecturer: UCLA, Institute of Pure and Applied
Mathematics, Inverse Problems Workshop: Deconvolution and Related Inverse
Problems in Physical Sciences, October 17, 2003, Remote Sensing of 3D
and Inhomogeneous Cirrus Clouds in the Earths Atmosphere.
- Invited Speaker: 26th Annual Review Conference
on Atmospheric Transmission and Radiance Models, Lexington, Massachusetts,
September, 24, 2003, Laser Transmission though Thin Cirrus: An Overview.
- Invited Lecturer: UCLA, Institute of Pure and Applied
Mathematics, Inverse Problems: Computational Methods and Emerging Applications,
September 10, 2003, Introduction to the Fredholm Equation of the First
Kind for Inversion of Aerosols and Temperature Profiles in the Atmosphere.
- Invited Seminar: University of Maryland, Department
of Meteorology, June 11, 2003, Remote Sensing of 3D inhomogeneous Clouds.
- Keynote Speaker: Goddard Space Flight Center,
GEST Summer Student Seminar Series, June 10, 2003, Overview of Contemporary
Issues in Atmospheric Radiation.
- Team Member Presentation: NOAA Joint Center for
Satellite Data Assimilation Workshop on Radiative Transfer Model, June 2,
2003, A Unified Vector Radiative Transfer Model for Application to Satellite
Remote Sensing and Data Assimilation.
- Harris Lecture: Texas A&M, Department of Atmospheric
Sciences, March 4, 2003, From Remote Sensing of 3D Inhomogeneous Clouds,
Radiative Transfer to Climate Modeling.
- Invited Seminar: Florida State University, Department
of Meteorology, November 21, 2002, Remote Sensing of Cirrus Clouds:
A Global Perspective and Climatic Implication.